Residence of John H. Ketcham
Dover Plains, New YorkOn August 3, 1903, a fire department was organized in Dover Plains and was known as the Dover Fire Department. There were sixty uniformed members under the direction of John A. Hanna, the newly elected Fire Chief. In 1904 Congressman John H. Ketcham donated two hose carts. These hose carts were drawn by ten men and could only be used in the village, where a hydrant district was installed a few months before the fire company was organized.
In 1913, the hose carts were drawn by a Ford truck owned by Henry Hufcut, and there was an old steel tire taken from a railroad engine that was used as an alarm by striking it with a hammer when there was a fire. This alarm was on the green next to Feeney's store, also known as Chertock's Department store. Since then it has been moved to the fire house in Dover Plains.
1914: Certificate of Incorporation (1.3 MB)
On March 6, 1914, filed and recorded with the office of the Secretary of State, State of New York, the fire company became incorporated and was named the John H. Ketcham Hose Company, Inc.
On February 7, 1927, the fire company purchased their first motorized fire truck which was a Seagrave Pumper. At that time the truck was the pride of the Harlem Valley. The fire company purchased a five horsepower siren and mounted it on top of Creque's garage in 1928 where the 1927 Seagrave pumper was housed.
On January 8, 1930, a piece of land was purchased from Thomas and Lillian Whalen on Old Route 22 in Dover Plains. The fire company, with the American Legion, erected a beautiful two story brick fire house in April of 1931.
In 1932, the fire company purchased a used Graham Page Truck from Anthony Wathley and made it into a hose truck.
On December 20, 1937, the fire company purchased a new Seagrave Pumper.
On July 16, 1941, the fire company built a large open air dance platform and hired Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra to play at the annual carnival.
In 1947, the fire company purchased a new GMC chassis from Wyman's Garage in Dover Plains. The chassis was sent to Brooklyn, New York and was built as a tanker. The fire truck held 1,000 gallons of water in its booster tank and was the first to carry a large amount of water in this area.
On April 16, 1951, the fire company purchased an new GMC Pumper from American Fire Apparatus Company in Battlecreek, Michigan.
In 1953, a Fire Police Unit was formed consisting of ten men. William Brown was appointed fire Police Chief.
In 1958, the Boy Scout Camp donated to the fire company a 1937 American Lafrance Pumper which was housed in Chippy Hampel's garage and became the first fire truck that was housed in Wingdale for fire protection.
In 1960, the fire company moved from Chippy Hampel's garage to the American Legion's basement on the corner of Route 22 in the hamlet of Wingdale.
On September 6, 1961, the fire company purchased a new 1962 GMC Pumper from American Fire Apparatus Company in Battlecreek, Michigan.
On June 2, 1972, the fire company purchased an new GMC Pumper from American Apparatus Company in Battlecreek, Michigan.
On June 11, 1974, the fire company purchased land and a barn from the Office of General Services, State of New York which is located at the intersection of Route 55 and Route 22 in Wingdale. The old barn was renovated and on December 31, 1975 on New Year's Eve the fire trucks were moved from the American Legion building to their new home, which is still being used today.
In 1979, the fire company purchased a used 1972 utility /brush truck from Shaker Road Fire Department in Albany, New York.
On October 3, 1980, the fire company purchased a used 1963 Ford Pumper from the New Hackensack Fire Department.
On March 6, 1981, the fire company purchased a new CMC Pumper from Emergency One in Ocala, Florida.
On December 17, 1981, the fire company purchased a used 1959 International American Lafrance 65' aerial truck from the Montgomery Fire Department.
On December 9, 1983, the fire company refurbished their 1963 Ford Pumper. The work was done by Emergency One in Ocala, Florida.
On July 24, 1985, the fire company purchased an new Ford Pumper from Emergency One in Ocala, Florida.
On October 10, 1986, the fire company purchased two new GMC utility/ rescue trucks from Emergency One in Ocala, Florida.
On March 15, and October 11, 1990, the fire company purchased two new Ford Pumpers from Emergency One in Ocala, Florida.
On May 10, 1991, the fire company purchased a new Chevy Suburban from Audia Motors. This vehicle will be used by the fire Chief and will carry fire and rescue information and equipment.
In the fall of 1991 the fire company purchased a used 1980 100' Supthen Tower Ladder from the Union Hook and Ladder Company located in Mt. Kisco, New York.
In 1995 a Chevy Tahoe was purchased for the Chief's vehicle and the Suburban was used by the Deputy Chief.
In 2000 an E-One Pumper and a Ford F350 Utility truck was purchased. In 2001 a Chevy Tahoe was purchased to replace the 1991 Suburban.
In 2001 an E-One, Saulsbury Rescue Pumper and a Ford F350 Utility truck was purchased.
In 2002 Thermal Imaging Camera was purchased. The Junior Firefighter program was started. About 20 members are active in this program.
In 2003 a second set of Jaws of life was purchased.
In 2006 the fire company took delivery of an E-ONE 75-ft SideStacker aerial ladder equipped with an E-ONE Hurricane chassis, Cummins ISM engine, Hale Qmax 1,500gpm midship pump, Side-mount pump panel, 400-gallon water tank, and Onan 10kw generator.